Friday, July 25, 2014

The Burger vs King Conundrum

My mother sent me an email this morning about Burger King.
In SF, CA a Burger King served Rainbow Whoppers. Regular Whoppers with Rainbow wrappers stating, "We are all the same inside."

She sent me the email article to let me know never to eat at Burger King.

The Burger vs King Conundrum 

I have a problem with this situation (aside from my unhealthy and undying love for the Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich.) My problem lies in the fact that if we are called to be Christians, then we are called to Christian commandments, and that means LOVE.

Now, I know that you can't LOVE a corporation like you can love someone with a soul, but I think it is the attitude behind the message. When you choose not to support a company because they show compassion toward a group of people, but shop in Walmart who supports companies guilty of child labor atrocities, what message are you sending?  

To me it almost says "We can't love abroad, but we can hate at home."



___________________________________________________

I just think that, we are called to love everyone.
Human judgement comes to those who are in covenant with God.
I am not saying to approve of each person's choices, but that we are called to love first.


Where are your clothes made? There are children being killed, beaten, sold into slavery in factories. Is that not equally offensive?


I am not saying to support people who do things you disagree with, I am just saying that a wrapper on a burger with rainbow colors is less offensive to me than many other things going on.

Who did Christ dine with? When Jesus was working His miracles and was reaching out to the world, who did he seek out? Who did He go to? Who did He eat with? Where did he focus His time? The lost... The seeking... Those who'd quit trying to find Hope.

Avoiding people in sin does no good for anyone. Judging the lost doesn't bring them to God, it reinforces their negative opinions of Him. Sharing things like this, talking about the God victory in the Hobby Lobby case, it all seems counter productive to me.


We are called to love everyone. We are called to serve everyone. Then, once they know how much we care, we share the Word with them. The Bible says that FAITH comes by HEARING. In my life, I have tried it both ways... and I have found that people can only hear if they are willing to listen with an open heart. There is no way to open their heart except with selfless love and patience and a willingness to love them in spite of their sin. Don't love the sin, the the soul that is dying in it. Then, the soul will reach out and the Holy Spirit can guide you to help them back into God's holy light.

If you don't want to eat at Burger King anymore, okay.
If you don't want to shop at Target, okay.
I just think that a willingness to be open to people and love them is more important.
I think if you are going to take a stand against corporations that promote sin, look at Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment