Monday, April 6, 2015

The Science of Sewing

I have never been good at math. There is nothing creative about math. It is all regimented, ruled, and calculated. Three times seven will always be 21. While there is something comforting in the timelessness of equations, I never found them very useful in my creative world.

So, when it comes to sewing, my attempts have never been very successful. I aim to change that as I attempt to make a quilted mattress pad for my son's Pack-N-Play. After searching on Pinterest and reading many different tutorials I finally found someone who'd made what I was envisioning.

I am working from this splendid tutorial from Nature's Heirloom. While I love the design and finished product, I am going to make a couple of modifications for mine.

First, I am going to use two layers of cotton batting. Now, normally I would say that would be too soft and a suffocation hazard. However, I am going to quilt both sides. By quilting tiny squares to both sides separately, then sewing them together, I am hoping to add a safe amount of cushion and added durability to the finished mattress. My reason for needing the extra durability is that we will be using this for many different things at home and on our summer trip to Michigan.  So, I need it to hold up to lots of wear.

I am still trying to decide which of my favorite snuggle flannel to use, and whether to quilt squares or diamonds, but I hope to get started on it by tomorrow!

Then I will move on to my next project: Bibs with Ties!


No comments:

Post a Comment